Area golf courses took the best shot Hurricane Irma had to offer and now are punching back.
Closed for several days, Golf In Venice courses Capri Isles, Calusa Lakes and Waterford opened Thursday.
Also on Thursday, Bobby Jones reopened the British and Gillespie courses.
Village Green of Sarasota has been open since Wednesday, The Palms Golf Club, despite having a massive tree uprooted near its course, is open.
Tom Maxwell, director of golf at The Meadows CC wrote the following e-mail to his members:
We are happy to announce that The Highlands and The Meadows Course will be open for the weekend! Below you will find availability of the courses, range, and schedules.
* The Highlands Course will resume for normal tee-times Saturday and Sunday.
* The Highlands will then close Monday 9/18 – Thursday 9/21 for Aerification.
* The Meadows Course will resume as normal with the Member Shotgun Saturday morning at 8:00AM and normal tee-times going forward.
* Both the Highlands and Meadows Driving Ranges will resume normal business hours starting tomorrow.
* The Saturday 9:00AM Golf Clinic will still be available for members in the morning.
* The Groves Golf Course will remain closed until further notice.
* Cart Path Restrictions for both courses will be published as normal on our website and app by 6:45AM.
* All bunkers on course will remain GROUND UNDER REPAIR with free relief outside the bunker, no closer to the hole.
We do ask that all players use caution driving carts around the course.
My source at Heron Creek reports the course is in great shape after the storm, and the greens are still perfect.
“You will be playing on our Oaks course, 4 holes on our Creek course, then 5 holes on the Oaks to finish your 18 holes. We are hoping to have the Creek fully open as soon as possible,” he wrote in an e-mail.
In the Fort Myers area, Alico Family Golf has now completely re-opened. The area took the biggest hit, so we’re still awaiting re-opening confirmations from most of the courses in that area.
Send us your Irma news and your course re-openings and we will tell our readership.