NAPLES – Quail Creek Country Club is set to host the 2nd Florida Women’s Open and Senior Open. A talented field of 154 players will tee it up August 10-12 to compete for the title of Florida Open Champion, including both defending Champions, Sandra Changkija and Barb Bunkowsky. New to this years’ Championship is the eligibility of out-of-state residents. Both amateurs and professionals from across the country are now eligible to compete in the Florida Women’s Open and Senior Open.
During the first two rounds, the field will be split between both the Quail and Creek courses with all players playing one round on both. After the completion of 36-holes, the field will be cut to approximately the low 60 players and ties. The cut in each division will be proportional to the number of Open and Senior Open players at the start of round one. The final round will take place on the Creek Course.
Professionals to Watch
Sandra Changkija is making a much-anticipated return to defend her inaugural Florida Women’s Open title. The Nova Southeastern Graduate and current LPGA Tour player dominated the field at Reunion Resort last year finishing the tournament at an impressive 17 under-par. Also back to defend her title is Senior Open Champion, Barb Bunkowsky. Barb won on the first play-off hole against Carolyn Hill. Barb finished with a three day total of 5 over-par, 221, going wire-to-wire to win the inaugural Senior Open title. Barb is a graduate of FSU and has one LPGA Tour victory. Other notable professionals include Charlotta Sorenstam, who will be competing for the second time, and former LPGA standout and University of Florida alumni, Laurie Rinker. Laurie was the 1980 U.S. Girls’ Junior Champion, has two LPGA Tour wins, and four Legends Tour wins.
- 52 Professionals, 104 Amateurs
- Average Age – 29 years old
- Most Experienced Competitor – 73 years old
- Youngest Competitor – Chloe Kovelesky at a mere 11 years old!
- Past Players of the Year
- 2017, 2014-2010, 2007- Mary Jane Hiestand (Senior)
- 2016 – Gigi Higgins (Senior)
- 2017 – Tara Joy-Connelly
- 2015 – Tama Caldabaugh (Senior)
- 2016 – Alyssa Lamoureux (Junior)
- 2014 – Mary Janiga (Junior)
- 2010, 2005-2006 – Diane Lang (Senior)
- 2004 – Taffy Brower
- Past Florida Women’s Amateur Champions
- 2014 & 2015 – Emily Rymer
- 2013 – Mallory Viera
- 2007 – Mary Jane Hiestand
- 2000, 2002, 2003 – Taffy Brower